Where Would We BEE Without Pollinators?
A Poster Contest for Students!
The Merrimack County Conservation District is hosting a poster contest for students in the county. The contest is modeled after the National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD) Poster Contest and is a chance for students to have their artwork displayed as part of a national conservation outreach initiative.
The MCCD contest rules may vary slightly, so please review them carefully. For more information about the national contest please visit: http://www.nacdnet.org/general-resources/stewardship-and-education-materials/contests/
The Merrimack County Conservation District’s Poster Contest is open to students in Kindergarten through Grade 8. MCCD will select winners in each of the following grade categories: K-1, 2-3, 4-6, 7-8. Winners may be entered in the national contest in December.
Each entry must have the entry form filled out, signed by guardian or parent and attached to the back of the poster. Failure to do this will result in disqualification.
MCCD Contest Rules
- Poster size for all entries must be 14″ x 22″ (half sheet)
- The 2020 Stewardship theme “Where would we BEE without Pollinators?” must be included on the front side of each poster submission.
- Any media may be used, including paint, crayon, colored pencil, charcoal, stickers, paper, or other materials.
- All posters must be created by an individual student, rather than a team of students. Entry must be contestant’s original creation and may not be traced from photographs or other artists’ published works.
- Although younger students will most likely receive help in planning from parents or teachers, MCCD and NACD encourage each student to do their own work. Note: Entries with student handwriting and coloring will score better than those designed, drawn, and colored by adult assistance.
- A completed entry form must be attached to the back of the poster. The form must be completed and signed by a parent or guardian. Each entry for the national contest must be submitted to NACD with an entry form (see below) to be eligible for judging.
- Posters should be packaged so they remain flat when sent for judging.
- Poster submissions must be postmarked by June 30, 2020 and sent to the Merrimack County Conservation District office.
MCCD Poster Evaluations
Poster Contest entries are reviewed by judges. The posters are evaluated using the NACD’s criteria for the national contest:
- Conservation message (50 percent)
- Visual effectiveness (30 percent)
- Originality (10 percent) and
- Universal appeal (10 percent).
The 1st place winner in each category will receive $50.
State and National Contests
- Posters must be judged at the district and state level to be eligible to compete in National level. Individual posters cannot be sent for national judging by individuals. They must follow their state’s contest rules and deadlines.
- Only official state poster contest sponsors can submit entries for the national contest.
- Only digital posters (photographs or scanned copies of the hand drawn posters in a JPEG format) will be accepted at the national level. Photographs must be clear and well framed. Entries must be emailed to email@example.com by December 1, 2020.
- Each entry must have the Entry form filled out and signed by guardian or parent to be judged:
Local to State Entry Form as an Adobe PDF.
National Entry Form as an Adobe PDF.